Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Results of today's VA appointments

It was a terribly long day.  We first went to Detroit and the diabetes dr couldn't look at the MRI of Wayne's brain about the diabetes insipidous.  He said to bring in the spray next Tuesday so he can check the dosage.  This is what keeps the amounts under control.  He still isn't sure it is DI but I explained to him how much Wayne urinates when he doesn't spray. 

Our trip to Ann Arbor was horrible.  We were a bit late for the 12:30pm appt and at 2pm when we were still waiting for him to see the DR, I went over to ask them what was taking so long.  Apparently the person who called me to change the appt from 2pm to 12:30, didn't change it at all!  I was livid!  We didn't see that DR till almost 3pm!  And the weather was horrible too, more on that later. 

The neurosurgeon said that there is nothing more that can be done, surgery won't help, and the only thing he can do is the exercises and get up and walk.  He said he sees no reason why Wayne can't walk ... he will always have the drop foot in his left foot but his right foot isn't bad.  He has to do it himself and in time he will get better at it, but that he has a degenerative problem with his back and that will get worse (if I remember and understood what he said).  He also said that the spinal stenosis had nothing to do with what happened when he had to have emergency surgery and that is a separate problem, that the herniated disc probably happened the night we had to call emergency, which means he has two problems with his spine... the spinal stenosis (which gets worse in time, as you get older) and the cauda equina problem caused by the herniated disc - I got the feeling he was saying they were separate but together it was a bigger problem, more for Wayne to deal with.  So Brandon is going to have to start working with Wayne as soon as we get the membership in the local rec.  The DR said that he really doesn't need to go to rehab if he knows what he has to do and really he has been to enough rehab already to know that.  But if he remembers it, I don't know.  I think Brandon can work on it with him.  I'm thinking we could get a 6mo membership at the rec. and then by the time the 6mos is over, the kids should be with Shawn and then we can get a senior membership (a lot less $) for the year. 

We also have to fill out the paperwork for the "means test" at the VA and submit that Tuesday when we go back.

Now the trip home.  The weather was horrible and I almost got into an accident.  Anyway, I was following the GPS and it took me to right turn to a road that was flooded and I didn't want to go there, so I did a U-turn and started going the other way only to go back but not take that turn. Then I got the bright idea that I could call onstar ... so I did, and I was at that same red blinking light where you had to take turns going and I was on the onstar explaining to someone where I needed to go and the flooded street, etc., AND the car in front of me went and for some reason I thought I could too, so as I started to go, a car was coming towards me blasting on their horn, but it was too late, I was already in the intersection ...so I kept going and ignored the guy and thanked God I didn't get hit... it would have been on Wayne's side.  Anyway, then I finally get to a place where I could stop and talk to onstar and they set me up another route and I was able to get on the freeway toward home.  We didn't get home till about 5:30pm.  We left there around 4pm I think.

Now we are watching American Idol and I'm trying to wind down.  

Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment